Monday, January 17, 2011

Loveing Death vs. Forbidden Love


I know that you're probably thinking "For someone who is so cynical when it comes to love, she sure does write about it a lot." Well, you're right to think that. I am not a romantic at all, but love is something that I often find myself thinking about. Will I ever find it? Is there such a thing as love, or is love but a figment of momentary bliss with which we find ourselves trusting and believing in whole-heartedly? I suppose I won't truly know the answers to these questions until I find the "one". Again, that is, if there is such a thing.

You've seen all the romantic shit they have on the big screen, but have you caught yourself wishing it could be that easy to fall in love in real life? Love doesn't just come overnight. It takes time to build, it takes years of searching and not finding what you're looking for. In order to find love, you must live with disappointment. In the movie "Love Story", Oliver and Jennifer meet in college, they date for awhile before getting married. The newlyweds attempt to have a child and later find out that Jennifer is suddenly dying. My favorite quote from this movie is "Love means never having to say you're sorry." However, I disagree with this quote. I think that love means knowing when to put aside your pride and apologizing with all your heart when necessary.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."-As quoted by Shakespeare. If you're as captivated by Shakespeare's plays as I am, and have studied his work, you know what this quote means. Basically what he's saying is "What do names matter? If we called a rose something else, it would still smell just as sweet." And by this, he means that no matter what your title or last name is, it doesn't change who you are as an individual. Forbidden love always seems so much more passionate (epecially when interpreted by Shakespeare). I think it has to do with the fact that both people know they're not allowed to be togehter. It somehow excites the relationship and makes the couple desperate to make it work. More often than not, it doesn't work out. But while things lasted, they most-likely couldn't have gone better as far as romance goes. So, loveing death or forbidden love? I'd have to say, out of these two choices, forbidden love sounds more appealing. Loseing the one I love would be too much for me. In fact, when and if I find the "one", I will demand to die first, and it will be of natural causes when we are both much, much older.

No comments:

Post a Comment