Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life as I know it

My name is Haley :-) I am a first time blogger so bare with me, if I'm not what you expect at first. To be honest, I'm never exactly what anyone expects. I suppose that's a good thing. Atleast that's how I view it, others may have their own opinions on it. Well to start things off, I'm going to tell you a little about myself.

I've been a figure skater since I was four years old. When I first stepped foot on that ice, I felt freedom. I could barely stand without falling at first, but I was a quick learner. By the time I was five, my home rink closed. I switched rinks and coaches. That was when I met Erin Benedum. Erin took me under her wing and taught me everything I know. She put me in competitions, she pushed me as hard as I could go without breaking. I competed with her as my coach for nine years. I competed all across the United States. I was homeschooled for five years, so it would be easier to travel during the year. I had a competition every 3-4 weeks. My last competition was the State Games of America in Colorado Springs, Colorado in 2006. I placed fourth in the country under women's singles. After that competition, my coach was fired from the rink for unknown reasons. I decided to retire from competing.


After that competition, I continued to skate, but out of my own free will. Not because I had a competition to attend to. I started going to a regular school and became a cheerleader. I quickly took to being popular and being well-known around the school. When I turned fourteen, I was still figure skating on my own free-time. I decided to become a coach at my home rink. Coaching had been what I always dreamed of doing. So many little girls at the age of 9 or 10 dreamed of going to the Olympics. But, not me. To this day, I am still a coach at my home rink. This year, I am coaching Abby and Camille for their routine in the Christmas show. I remember being their age...and looking up to all the older skaters, wishing more than ever that I could skate like them.
...this is life as I know it. Figure skating was, is, and will be a part (probably one of the greatest parts) of my life.

Thank you for reading my first blog :-D I promise to make my following blogs a little more interesting!
Oh! And by the way, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment